Sewing Room Dreams
If you could design the perfect sewing room, what would you include? If you’ve already designed your sewing room, what is your favorite aspect about it? What are parts you wish you had before, can’t live without, or wish you’d done differently?
I’m getting ready to do some remodeling, and part of the remodeling includes new flooring and complete painting of the inside of my house. I started to do the painting myself last year, and then my daughter got sick, and my back got really bad, so everything is half finished. I still have the blue tape up in the kitchen.
I’m going to put hardwood (not laminate, not Pergo) throughout as much of the house as I can afford. I think I’ll put it in the sewing room too. My sewing room is really a loft/bonus room at the top of the stairs, so it has a half wall separating it from the stairwell and the room. I’ve considered changing the solid wall to bannisters, but then I’d lose wall space, so I don’t think I’ll do that.
Here are some of the features I want:
- A built in ironing board
- Shelves and cabinets
- A custom ergonomically correct cutting table. (How cool would it be if the cutting table folded up into the wall when I wasn’t using it?)
- A comfortable chair for sitting and doing hand sewing
- A bulletin board
- A magnetic dry erase board
- Framed areas with hooks to hang garments in process (I saw this on an HGTV episode)
- Better lighting
- Adequate drawers for pattern storage
- A tall cabinet to hold fabric on home dec bolts
I’m not sure what else I want. What would you include?