Skip to content

A Walk, A Parade, and A Bike Ride

June 7, 2009

Saturday was a very fun day. I started off with my usual walk with my faithful walking companion. We have others that join us occasionally, but it is pretty much the two of us that are there every week – unless we’re ill or on vacation out of town.

Each week we pick a different location for our walk and I am so grateful for this idea. This has had the benefit of getting me to explore new areas not far from where I live. I’ve lived in this particular area for 10 years, and in the Pacific Northwest for 21 years and some of these places I’ve never seen before. I usually keep to my little routes, but now I’m stretching out of my comfort zone and seeing such fabulous, incredibly beautiful locations. Yesterday, I drove through the Lower Snoqualmie River Valley, and it was so lush and gorgeous, I only wish I’d had time to stop, pull over and take photos for you. I’ll try to do that soon.

This week, since she knew it was Duvall Days in Duvall, WA we headed out that way for our walk. (Below is the map of the route we took.) We ended up walking 5 miles at our very brisk pace. We got an early start because we wanted to beat the 5k and 10k runners, but we managed to get in the middle of the 5k run. It was funny because even though we didn’t have numbers tacked to our shirts, people were encouraging us on. (We weren’t running either.) Um, guys, we walked farther than you ran! LOL.



Anyhoo… after our walk, we put her two pooped out dogs in her van, and I got Lily out of my car and we walked up to the main street of town and waited for the parade. Normally, I’m not much of a parade girl, but this was fun. Small town Americana at its best. Lily was the best dog through all this. With all the people, noisy fire trucks, horses, cows, other dogs and kids, she didn’t growl, she didn’t bark, and she just snuggled in my arm and jacket and looked out at everything. I think she was a happy puppy.

After the parade, I traveled into Kirkland and got my bike fixed. The chain had derailed off the gears and I couldn’t get it back on. They fixed it quickly and checked the air on my tires. (I just have to give a shout-out here to the great guys at Kirkland Bike. They never fail to give me excellent, and pleasant, service, and teach me something too while I’m there. They teach in a very helpful way, never, ever making me feel stupid for being a newbie. Thanks, guys!)

Then I headed down to my mom’s and met a friend there. We loaded up our bikes in my car and headed off for a fabulous, fun bike ride. We went from Marymoor Park in Redmond to Woodinville, and back, and even got lost and took a little detour along the back side of Redmond Town Center. I think I calculated that bike ride as about 15 miles round trip, riding for about 2 hours steady. I had to stop a few times and my biking friend had to go a bit slower sometimes for me, but it was so fun to gab and laugh while getting fit.

After the bike ride, we hung out at my mom’s for a while, and then later, my mom, her roommate, and I went to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner. I chose well and had their Chicken Medallions with veggies, and replaced the white rice with broccoli, and requested no butter on the veggies. The chicken was grilled in a balsamic vinegar mixture and was good but the “medallions” were really three small chicken breasts. It was more like three servings if you follow the 3 oz card deck size rule for a serving size, so I brought the leftovers home to put on my salad for lunch.

All through this day, Lily was my companion. This was the first time I’ve taken her along all day. She did fabulously. Some times she had to wait in the car for an hour and a half (it’s cool outside and gray right now, so that’s okay.) Other times, she came into Mom’s and played with Mom’s cat, Timmy, or she sat on my lap and was a good puppy. She even let both my walking buddy and my riding buddy hold her and she didn’t nip, didn’t growl, and was so sweet. Obviously she is a good judge of character and knows great people when they hold her.

All in all, it was a great day. I’m not really sore today either, which amazes me.

Lesson learned: Exercise goes faster and is more fun if you can do it with a friend and exercise your jaws at the same time.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: